The holidays are certainly upon us. With the caroling, eggnog, and presents also comes traffic, crowds and holiday stress. How many of you have woken up after a week of chaos to a big bulging bright red unsightly bump on your face?
It has happened to the best of us but instead of staying under the covers until New Years, I am going to teach you how to cover those breakouts and some of the best products out there to beat the pimple wars for good.
Zit Covering 101
1. The first thing you want to do before applying cover up to a breakout is taming the redness and irritation first. Remember, make-up can only cover discolorations on the skin and not texture. You will still see a raised area but if we reduce the swelling before we apply our make-up then it wonâ€™t be as bad. What works best for me is to apply a dab of Visine or Saline Solution on the area first. Make sure you use a cotton ball or a q-tip and not your fingers. Once that dries then you can apply your make-up.
2. Apply your foundation FIRST before your concealer. This is a great tip because after your face has its foundation on you may not need as much concealer as you think and can stay away from the â€œcakeyâ€ look.
3. What I find works best on my clients is to apply concealer with a fluffy eye shadow brush instead of a dense concealer brush (as seen below). This gives it a more air-brushed look and wonâ€™t look like a spot of thick make-up on your face. Apply a small amount of concealer in a stippling motion to the blemished area and make sure the concealer is blended out into the foundation.
My favorite blemish fighting products
1. Mario Badescu Drying Lotion. I love this product and have been using it for about 7 years now. You use it before bed and in the morning your pimple is pretty much a goner. It has Salicylic Acid to shrink it plus Calamine lotion to sooth and reduce redness. You can find this product here.
2. Make-up Forever 5 Camouflage Palette. This is a great product. This stuff really covers but itâ€™s creamy and allows you to really blend to get the desired amount of coverage. I also like that it gives you multiple colors so you can custom match your skin tone all year round. You can find this product at Sephora.
3. Laura Mercier Translucent Powder. I have been using this powder on my clients forever. Itâ€™s like air and itâ€™s colorless so you can wear it all year round and will not leave you with that powdery look. You can find this product here.
Note from Queen Bee: Be sure to check out Miss Mascara’s facebook page – she’s giving away a $50 gift card to MAC to one of her fans!